Honest to goodness, yum. You’re going to love this recipe from Don’s dad. It’s one of our summer favorites and one of our new favorite ways to use fresh basil from our garden.
What you’ll need:
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium-size red onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 4 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 4 teaspoons oregano
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 16 ounces thin spaghetti, cooked and drained
- Break up sausage into large skillet. Sauté over medium-high heat 5 to 6 minutes or until thoroughly cooked. Drain off excess fat and set aside.
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion and seasonings. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
- Add reserved sausage to saucepan and cook 10 minutes.
- Add sausage mixture and cheese to hot cooked pasta and toss gently. Spoon into serving dish and garnish with additional cheese, if desired.
Thanks, Papa Sutphin! ♥